Monday, April 12, 2010

Hypnotism - My New Daily Cup of Coffee

I've always been a firm believer in trying something out before deciding how I feel about a particular topic. So I guess you can say that I 'sit on the fence' in many areas. One area of psychological treatment that I have sat on the fence with is hypnosis.

Hypnosis, or a hypnotic state, is a temporary condition of altered attention in an individual. A hypnotist is a person who uses hypnotism. Scientific evidence suggests that hypnotism is useful when it is practiced by qualified professionals. For example, some professionals use hypnotism to treat patients who have certain medical or psychological problems.

Today, I had my first experience with hypnotism. And I must begin by telling you, it's not a bad treatment, as suggested by the media. I was asked if it was like sleeping, and yes, I suppose it could be compared to sleeping. Although, hypnotism does require more active mental concentration than sleeping. Hypnotized people can walk. write, and walk about. Usually they are fully aware of what is happening around them.

According to my therapist, I was hypnotized for approximately 20 minutes. It really only felt like 5. Near the end of the session, I felt like I was in a deep state of hypnosis. It was almost like I was there physically, but I couldn't feel my body. I couldn't really move, nor did I even want to. I felt like someone could have hit me in the head with a brick and I wouldn't have felt a thing.

When I opened my eyes I remember smiling. It was such a 'feel good' moment for me - I had hoped that the feeling I had then would last forever. I left her office with a CD of our session in my hands, and later that day I was told, "You're glowing."

I want to listen to my new CD every night before I go to bed, I'm going to call it my 'Evening Cup O' Joe.'

No comments:

Post a Comment