Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Storytime!

If someone told me yesterday that I will have the time of my life if I took my 1 1/2 year old son to the local library for story time accompanied by singing and dancing, I don't quite know how I would have taken it.

Probably with a slightly confused look on my face while thinking to myself, "Were they serious?" "Nah, they must have been joking." "Yeah, they were totally joking."

Our local library has story time for 1-2 year old children on Wednesdays from 10:30am to 11. And today was my first time bringing Owen. I've been "thinking" about bringing him to one of these playgroups forever. I finally got off my tookus and brought him to one.

I haven't sang "The Wheels on the Bus", "Itsy-Bitsy Spider" or have even done the "Ring Around the Rosie" in a few years. It's just not my thing. I'd rather read to my children or build stuff with them...sitting...alone...in my house...not in public. (Have I made my fear of people and public places clear enough to you yet?!)

I feel great! I'm really, really glad I finally took him! He loved it, and even though not for me, I loved it as well. Even the librarian who ran the story time seemed to enjoy Owens antics. His "Ohhh Wow!" as she turned the pages to her story for this week seemed almost to make her enjoy her half an hour being there too.

We went back to the library later that day, although this time to the main branch. As Cameron and I wanted to check out the books there. And guess who we ran into? Yep, the story teller was there looking for her book for next week. She told me that if Owen was there next week, she really wanted HIM to read the story as she loves him enthusiasm!

Nothing better than a compliment on your child (or children) to make a Mother's heart go 'pitter pat'.

I pray he's treated right
and protected from all that gives him fright.
Protect his heart from kids who make fun
because he's too fat or too dumb.
If he's too skinny or too smart,
please still, protect his heart.
He's so happy and free with joy,
I'd hate to see that be destroyed.
Help him learn from his mistakes,
and never give him more then he can take.
Give him all the love he needs
and bless him with the joy that makes him free.
Save him from the pain life brings,
and make his little heart sing.
Please don't let the world take it away
It’s to precious to let decay.
So I beg please,
Protect him from what he sees
Let him see life in a different light,
Let him see darkness as a starry night.
So please make his heart very strong,
and spread to the world his happy song.

© Amy S. Huston

No comments:

Post a Comment