Monday, April 5, 2010

Move over ladies, I wanna knit too!

"Click-clack, click-clack."

Recently, I have grown accustomed to hearing the subtle sound of knitting needles tapping each other back and forth. Knitting seems to have become a new pastime for hip young women seeking a fun and positive stress-reliever.

But men? Better yet, boys?

My son Cameron just turned 9 years old in February. He enjoys skateboarding, riding his bike, building ships with his Legos, and most recently, he has added knitting to this list!

When Cameron came home from school one day and told me how one of his teachers showed him how to knit, I never thought it would become what it is now. I guess I just simply thought that he would create one thing to try it and he would move on. I mean, c'mon, his classmates will give him a hard time about this for sure, won't they?

Guess again! Last week we took Cameron to the craft store and he purchased a bright orange set of knitting needles with his $5 allowance money. He has taken these to school with him so he could work on his projects during some of the free time that he has in school. He has said that some of the other kids in his class, girls and boys, have come to school with a set of their own needles and they are knitting as well! What a trend to start! Last year Cam was reading in class when he wasn't supposed to be, and it's knitting this year!

In the past 2 weeks alone Cameron has made a scarf for his brother Owen, two other scarves, a baby blanket and has just finished his birthday present for John III.

Apparently, knitting helps to calm the nerves, organize one's thinking and to help relax a person. Never mind the self esteem it gives someone when you see a finished product and you can say to yourself, "I created this."

The best part about Cameron's knitting passion for me, is the fact that it's turning his head, even if only for a minute, from the corporate, computer age junk. It's teaching him an economic and socially responsible way to make his own stuff when he can. It makes me proud that instead of begging for an expensive toy that he'll only play with for half a minute, he chooses to savor a $7 ball of yarn that can entertain him for a week, well almost a week at the rate he's going with it!

I guess now I should ask him if he'll teach his Mom how to knit as well! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment